Friday, July 13, 2012

Surprise Closet Staple {Kat Dy of Kat Dy Finds)




Hey AML readers! I'm Kat from the blog Kat Dy Finds, and I'm very honored to be guest blogging here. Mikka asked me a long time ago (last year pa to be exact!) to blog about my surprise closet staple and I'm quite ashamed to admit that it's taken me this long to do it! But, here it is finally. I hope you enjoy reading it, as much as I've enjoyed mulling over it. 

So, my surprise closet staple is (drumroll please)….

This swingy red-orange miniskirt from Forever 21. It's an impulse buy I snapped up on my last full day of living in NYC. I was running around like a headless chicken that day, frantically buying pasalubongs for my family back home, but I couldn't resist the lure of the Forever 21 store on Herald Square. So in I went and there were racks of these skirts in different colors (there might have been royal blue, yellow and pink as well) selling for a promo price of $10. Well for that price, it was a no-brainer, so I grabbed it without even thinking much about what I'd pair it with.

It turned out to be quite the commodity in my closet. I've taken it with me on three international trips, worn it in cool and warm climes, and even though it's a piece from last year, I can imagine I'll be wearing it for years to come. It's lightweight, wrinkle-free, and breezy, yet lends itself to easy layering. And the vivid blood-orange hue is usually the clincher that makes an outfit worn with it really stand out.

Here's where (and how) I've worn it so far:
Here I am channeling my inner flight attendant, wearing a button-down shirt, leopart-print scarf, and booties. I remember walking around Montreal that day, and felt quite peppy in my outfit. So preppy in fact, that I even managed to jump right into a huge basin of $1 clothing at a second-hand store!
When friends of ours had a wedding in Bari, Italy (hometown of Anna Dello Russo, no less!), the skirt also traveled with me. I paired the skirt with a striped tank, leather sandals and a hammered gold collar hoping to evoke the kind of seaside chic that would do justice to the beautiful Mediterranean seascape surrounding us. The leopard print scarf also made an appearance, this time tied around my black leather satchel.










I wore this a few times when we spent holidays and the new year in Australia. In Sydney, I basically wore the same striped tank and leather bag I matched the skirt with in Italy, but added a cropped, sailor-inspired navy bolero into the mix, and accessorized with a vintage art-deco gold circles necklace, gold belt and my worn-everywhere nude sandals from Renegade Folk. 













On a road trip to Melbourne, I paired it with a basic beige tank from Zara (can you believe it's a 10 year old piece?), a tan belt, and the RF sandals. The scarf again makes an appearance, this time around my neck. Hmm, this scarf is becoming quite the surprise staple too! 
Just recently, I wore the skirt to a dinner. Wore it with a Primark aquarium print top, same tan belt I wore in Australia, and my brand new navy leather satchel from Cuzo. The look is decidedly a bit more glam with the addition of the Zara color block heels, but I love the fantastic combo of navy, blue and orange. Accessorized with tribal-inspired accoutrements on each arm. 

I also wore it once ala schoolgirl with a navy sweater, socks and brown penny loafers, but failed to get a proper photo of my outfit. 

Can you tell I love this skirt? I still have a few outfits up my sleeve, but I think I need to give my skirt a rest for now. But do check out my blog, and it might make a surprise appearance again! If you have a fantastic reco on how else I can wear this skirt, give me a holler over at Kat Dy Finds.

Have a great weekend ahead!






No comments:

Post a Comment