Wednesday, January 25, 2012

DIY {Wish-You-Were-Here Postcards}

My good friend, Pen, loves receiving postcards in the mail. She's just endearingly old-fashion like that. Over the course of our friendship, it has been a tradition that I send her postcards whenever I can from whichever corner of the world I may be. I think I have sent her postcards from Paris, St. Petersburg, Athens, Istanbul, Bali, Barcelona... and the one from San Francisco is still slowly on its way. Snail mail still has got its charm on us. 

When I came across this idea from a book I picked up from SFMOMA, my heart raced a little. Why didn't I think of this before?! It would have saved me from trips to souvenir shops to pick up commercial postcards. I know this is something Pen would appreciate more.
So here's what you need:
8.5 x 11" sheets of board paper
cutter/ utility knife
ruler
cutting mat
map of your trip (I got a world map from National Bookstore)
scissors
glue stick/ double-sided tape
pens
postage

The simple steps:
1. Trim the board paper to postcard size (4.25x6")
2. Map your route. Trace your postcard boards on your chosen map sections.
3. Cut and stick your chosen map sections on your postcard boards.
4. Decorate your postcard maps according to your fancy. I drew hearts on the places that I am (supposedly) visiting.
5. Decorate the back just like how a classic postcard looks.
6. Have fun!
This idea is also great for save-the-date cards especially for destination weddings or for a fun treasure hunt. But if you have a friend like Pen, imagine the glee on her face when the postman hands her this.

**Inspired from the book Handmade Hellos 

No comments:

Post a Comment